Toronto GM Alex Anthopoulous and outfielder Jose Bautista fired back at allegations of sign-stealing, with Bautista revealing that the four bullpen members quoted in the original story were members of the White Sox.
"The whole thing is stupid" Anthopoulous opened his comments with, as Blue Jays broadcaster Mike Wilner relayed.
Here are some more quotes from Anthopoulous:
- "Spend the time, go through the footage. See if you can find a man in a white shirt." -- Speaking about the mysterious man in a white shirt that was allegedly stealing signs and relaying them to the Blue Jays hitters.
- "Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. ESPN is a good organization, but they needed to do their homework here."
- "Because four players on another team said something, a story is written and we're all sitting here. This is nuts."
- "This is nothing. No phone calls, no nothing. Haven't heard from anyone in MLB today. This is nothing."
- "Been in this organization for years, never a phone call, e-mail, text, nothing. We have GM meetings, this would have come up."
"Last year it was steroids, this year stealing signs," Bautista said, referencing how he had to contend with allegations of steroid use after he came out of nowhere to become one of the best players in the game. "I'm interested to see what they come up with next year."
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeonBaseball on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.