By Matt Snyder
Wednesday, Vicente Padilla collected his first save since September 28, 2000, but it was the manner in which he got the save that draws the attention of most.
Monday night, Dodgers closer (at the time) Jonathan Broxton blew a save. It was the first save he'd blown in 2011 and would have been closed down had Jamey Carroll not completely whiffed on a grounder with two outs.
Tuesday morning, Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said on the radio that the Dodgers would go with Broxton, Vicente Padilla and Hong-Chih Kuo as a bit of a three-headed monster for save situations. Later Tuesday, Dodgers skipper Don Mattingly reportedly held a meeting with Broxton to inform him he was still the team's primary closer.
But the next save chance came Wednesday afternoon in Florida, and Padilla was summoned to close down the Marlins -- and he set them down in order, 1-2-3. Broxton was did not appear in the game, a 5-4 Dodgers victory.
So are the Dodgers going with Colletti's plan? Did Broxton just get one day off from closing duties to clear his head? Is Padilla the closer?
Hey, it's the Dodgers. Bud Selig forced MLB to take control of the Dodgers last week after Frank McCourt ran the franchise's finances into the ground. Anything's possible at this point.
The only thing that really matters is the Dodgers won the game. Oh, and Andre Ethier not only extended his April-record 24-game hitting streak, but he hit the go-ahead home run in the 10th.
UPDATE: After the game, Mattingly reportedly said Broxton has elbow soreness and would only be available in an "emergency" and that Broxton is still his closer. Of course, he also said he wasn't averse to using Padilla in a save situation with Broxton healthy and available. So, yeah, it's still confusing (LA Times via Twitter)
For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @cbssportsmlb on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.